Smoked Sundried Tomato Pesto
- 1 Packet Telegraph Hill Manuka Smoked Semi-dried Tomatoes
- 25g Nuts (Cashew nuts, pinenuts, walnuts or almonds)
- 1x Fresh Tomato (peeled)
- Pinch Black Pepper
- 1x garlic clove
- ¼ fresh chili (more or less to taste)
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped fresh herbs (basil, parsley, oregano)
- 1 Tablespoon Telegraph Hill Olive powder
- 25ml Telegraph Hill Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked paprika
- Drain the tomatoes from the oil, keeping the oil aside for later.
- In a food processor roughly chop the nuts.
- Add the smoked tomatoes, fresh tomato, diced chili and garlic then process into a paste.
- Remove from the food processer into a bowl and stir in the pepper, olive powder and smoked paprika.
- Stir in the Olive oil and oil reserved from the Smoked tomatoes until combined.
- Add the fresh herbs and serve
Works great as a replacement for tomato paste on pizzas, as a dip or on bruschetta. Use as a base for pasta or pasta salad or basically anywhere you would use tomatoes or tomato paste that you want an extra smoky flavourful punch. I tend to load mine up with extra chili and garlic when I make it at home but the quantities given in the recipe above are a good starting point from which you can add more to taste.
Recipe created by our very own Gavin Versey