Recipe by Alison Leonard
INGREDIENTS: Per Hāngi Package (slow cooker should hold 2-3 Hāngi packages)
1 chicken drum stick
1 pork strip or chop
1 ball of stuffing
1-2 Potato pieces
1-2 Kumara pieces
1-2 Carrot pieces
1-2 Pumpkin pieces
2-3 Cabbage leaves Salt and pepper Smoked Paprika (optional) Use larger leaves
- Place the cabbage leave onto a large sheet of tinfoil.
- Then add the meat, season with salt and pepper and spray with 2-3 squirts of the Manuka smoked concentrate
- Add the vegetables and stuffing on top of the meat, season again and spray with another 2-3 squirts of Manuka smoke concentrate
- Wrap each parcel securely in the tin foil
- Put 6-8 small rolled-up balls of tin foil (or 2 ramekins upside down) in the bottom of the slow cooker and pour in water to just cover the balls ramekins.
- Place foil wrapped packages of meat and vegetable on top of the tin foil balls/ ramekins. Cover with a damp tea-towel over the slow cooker with the edges hanging down the outside and place lid on top. Cook for 6-8 hours on high (we found 8 hours worked best and gave an authentic smokey hāngi smell). Do not lift lid until time is up.
Stuffing for Slow-Cooker Hāngi by Alison Leonard Serves 2-3 Hāngi Packages
Stuffing 4 Slices Bread
1 x Egg
1 x Onion
1 Tablespoon Mixed Herbs
Salt & Pepper
METHOD: Tear bread into small pieces and place in food-processor to create breadcrumbs Finely chop onion, add remaining ingredients and mix, then mould into small balls.
IDEAS: You could use store-bought stuffing if you want, and you can make stuffing using your hands (don’t need a food-processor). A great meal when you don't have a kitchen.
Side Notes: We tried a couple of different combinations and found having the meat on the bottom worked well and the meat stayed moist.
For the full Video click the link: https://www.whanauliving.co.nz/posts/slow-cooker-hangi-by-alison-leonard/